Saturday, August 22, 2009

My first One . . .Why I got hooked





So, last year I went to visit my sister in Ridgefield, Washington and I became addicted. Yes, I know the northeast has the highest rate of substance abuse problems in America, but I didn't go there. . . I went to the "Chicken Lady's" quilt shop. I don't know the real name of this exciting place, all I know is that in a metal outbuilding, behind the house and yard lays a great quilt store. You have to dodge the chickens, that seem pretty "free range" to me, to get in the door, but when you do look out.

You see I've never been a quilter. My mom DeAnn, sister Krista and sister Shelly have all created beautiful quilts and have great taste in fabric, but I stayed away because I am slightly obsessive compulsive when it comes to craft supplies. I was already heavily invested in paper crafts because I teach scrap booking and card classes. I was fearful for my wallet and studio space.

But this lovely store held too many treasures. Bolts upon bolts of beautiful fabric, silky to the touch and pleasing to my artistic eye. I picked up a jelly roll of "American Jane" fabrics. I bought Michael Miller's "Dick and Jane" collection for our soon to arrive son's nursery. Lastly, I bought a beautiful "Cherry" fat quarter bundle. Since that fateful trip just over a year ago I have created 4 quilts, pieced two others, have fabric for about 4 more and written a pattern for one.

Yes, I have an addiction problem and I have the "Chicken Lady" to thank. So, if you know the name of the "Chicken Lady's" store in Ridgefield, Washington let me know and I can thank her personally.

So, now I show you the quilts I made from that fateful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment